Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Ask James – Inheritance Tax

Q:I have lived in Thailand most of my life but I am being told that I am still liable for UK inheritance Tax? Can you please advise?

A: If you are a UK national you automatically obtain the domcile of your father at birth, so assuming he was a UK national then you are also considered a UK domicile and subject to UK inheritance tax on your world-wide assets. Being resident in a foreign country does not changethis.

It is possible to change your domicile but incredibly difficult and you must sever ties with the UK and move the centre of your economic ties to your new country.

James Kan Murphy, ASCI
Wealth Manager 
deVere Group

If you have a question for James please email editor@samuitimes.com



If you like a story please share and like it with all your friends and leave comments above.
Do you have an interesting story or Tip-Off for Samui Times then visit the TIP-OFF Page Here

You must be logged in to post a comment Login