Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone
Four workers have died after they went down to clear some drains at a market in Sai Mai district of Bangkok.
Metropolitan police chief Sanit Mahathavorn was at the scene of the tragedy yesterday in Sai Mai Soi 15, Bang Khen, next to the AC Market area, reports Thai News Agency.
Rescue personnel who attended the scene said that the electrical supply had to be turned off before they could go down into the drains.
There they found four men. Three were still alive and given CPR but died later at a nearby hospital.
The other was pronounced dead at the scene.
Sai Mai police chief Ekthanakorn Konkaew said that all the men worked for the AC Market and were doing regular cleaning of the drains. He said that electrocution was thought likely at first but there were no electrics in the drain. Police now believe that the men passed out from inhalation of gas buildup in the drain.
It was reported that three men had gone down the drain while the foreman remained at the surface. When he realized that his team were in trouble he went down too only to become another victim.
Police are continuing to investigate the tragedy.