Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone


German tourist dies from Box Jellyfish sting in Koh Samui

A 20 year old German tourist has died and her friend was injured after encountering a box jellyfish while swimming outside the Swing Bar in Lamai on Tuesday.

Police in Samui say they were alerted to the death of Ms Theis Saskia by the Bangkok Hospital, she had suffered wounds to both of her legs, stomach, back and arms. Friend Jiovana Rassi, also German, sustained slight injuries as she swam to rescue her friend, she is receiving treatment in the hospital. Bungalow staff reported hearing the girls screams as they were stung, Samui rescue workers rushed to the scene where they administered vinegar to relieve the pain while rushing the injured to the hospital for treatment. The body of the deceased has been flown to Bangkok for autopsy.

The jetski club president commented that he had been alerted to large numbers of boy jellyfish in the area.

The Box Jellyfish is one of the world’s most toxic animals that can cause death almost instantly. Swimmers around Koh Samui are advised to show extreme caution when swimming, unconfirmed reports suggest another swimmer was injured off the coast of Chaweng last week. Jellyfish stings should only be treated with vinegar as gels and creams activate the stingers victims should be taken to the hospital as quickly as possible.

Comments

comments

If you like a story please share and like it with all your friends and leave comments above.
Do you have an interesting story or Tip-Off for Samui Times then visit the TIP-OFF Page Here

You must be logged in to post a comment Login