Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone
The World Bungee Jump where a Kuwaiti tourist died on Wednesday (May 27) has been ordered closed until further notice.
She has also ordered officials to inspect all equipment at the facility and ensure that the facility meets new laws and regulations on bungee jumps which will come into force in June.
At 2pm yesterday, Kathu District Chief, Sayan Chanachaiyawong and Ms Chalermluk inspected the bungee site on Sainamyen Rd in Patong following the death of 25-year-old Abdullah Adel Kadhbahman who on Wednesday fell from the bungee jump and later died at Patong Hospital.
It is believed that Mr Kadhmbahman died because the bungee cord ropes attached to his ankle either slipped off or broke whilst he was rebounding from his jump, causing him to fall and hit the ground surrounding a lake where the jump is located. (See story here)
A man reported to be the owner of World Bungee Jump, Weenas Janwibolkul, took officials around the facility and also showed them the place where Mr Kadhbahman hit the ground.
He told officials that he did not witness the incident but felt very sorry for the victim and his family.
“We will take full responsibility. We have taken care of all medical expenses and are waiting to hear from the victim’s family to see what else we can do.
“We have been open for 13 years and this is the first time we have had to deal with a fatal accident. “We have had some small accidents previously which have resulted in minor injuries. But safety is our priority here, and before each jump we check all equipment for safety,” he said.
A member of staff who witnessed the incident, Manu Nilmin, said that before each jump staff always check the equipment. He also said that the equipment is replaced every three to four months.
“The incident happened when the victim plunged the second time. He was at a height of about 30 metres when the ankle straps came off. We don’t know how it happened,” said Mr Manu.
Kathu district chief Mr Sayan said that everybody is sorry for the family of the deceased.
However, he added that there are currently no laws or regulations covering bungee jumps and that building regulations have been used as a guide for setting up bungee jumps which fall under the jurisdiction of the local tambon. That will change when the new regulations come into force in June.
Meanwhile, the Mayor of Kathu, Chaianan Sutthikul, has denied rumours that he is the real owner of the bungee jump. After the accident people were seen at the bungee facility wearing T-shirts with his name on them. He said they were employees of the Sainamyen Boxing Stadium, which is next door.