Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone
The hospital in Phuket that is treating UK resident Jake Tobin has hit back at claims from his mother printed in the UK press that they refused treatment until payment was guaranteed.
TNews reported yesterday that the family of Jake, 23, have raised 766,000 baht of a 1,120,000 baht target. Some 616 people have so far contributed to a crowd funding appeal.
Jake was riding pillion on Sunday when he came off a bike. The insurance company say it was a collision with an oncoming vehicle while the local information, according to the hospital, was that they were rear ended by a minivan.
Jake suffered head and brain trauma and a broken right leg.
Dr Dun Damrongsak the director of Sirirot Phuket Hospital confirmed that Mr Tobin entered the hospital on Monday 8th May.
He said in a statement: “We did not refuse treatment to Mr Tobin at all. We gave him all the help and assistance we could. He is now recovering and getting better by the day. We put our patients first not concerns over money”.
Dr Dun said that as soon as Jake was admitted he was assessed and X-Rayed. Two teams of doctors then began his treatment. He was in a one hour 20 minute surgery as soon as the assessment of his injuries was complete.
He said that by Wednesday Jake was showing signs of improvement and he continues to progress well under the hospital’s care.
Dr Dun said that when he was admitted they contacted the insurance company who told them they would not cover his accident. This was immediately communicated to the family.
His mother Jane, 62, had complained to the Manchester Evening News that her son was “left for dead” in Thailand and that the hospital concerned refused treatment until payment was guaranteed.
The insurance company Insureandgo said they would not pay even though they were “genuinely sorry” to hear about the accident which was Jake’s second on a bike in less than three weeks.
In an online statement they said: “The reason Jake’s claim has been declined is because, based on previous events, we considered him to have demonstrated reckless behaviour.
“This was Jake’s second road traffic accident in less than three weeks. The first claim, submitted on the 26th April, has already been approved. However, Jake’s decision to climb onto another moped just five days after undergoing major surgery on his injured arm was considered to be reckless behaviour by our assistance team, which means he does not qualify for cover in this case.
“With Jake’s arm in a back slab, he wouldn’t have been able to safely secure himself to the moped or the driver – he also risked exacerbating his existing injuries”.