Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone


Thai tourist dies in Koh Phangan after being stung by a jellyfish

On Friday night a young woman travelling with friends from Bangkok went swimming off the coast of Ban Tai, Koh Phangan at around 8pm. While in the water the 31 year old woman was stung by a box jellyfish. The police in Koh Phangan got a report of the incident at around 9-30pm, they discovered the woman had died when they arrived at the Koh Phangan hospital.

Last year a five year old French boy died from a box jellyfish sting in the waters of Koh Phangan.

The box jellyfish is one of the most poisonous creatures in the world, its sting can cause extreme pain, muscle spasms in the back and stomach, numbness in the muscles, nausea, vomiting, tightness of the chest and death.

Box jellyfish are more common during the rainy season and tend to be found in shallow areas where people swim. The jellyfish is almost completely transparent and very hard to see. If you are stung by a jellyfish it is advisable to shout for help, as waving your arms will result in further contact with the jellyfish. Once you have got back onto dry land head to the nearest hospital as soon as you can and in the mean time splash the affected areas with seawater until the stings have been removed. Fresh water, alcohol and urine should not be used. When the stings have been removed ice can be used to reduce pain.

Comments

comments

If you like a story please share and like it with all your friends and leave comments above.
Do you have an interesting story or Tip-Off for Samui Times then visit the TIP-OFF Page Here

You must be logged in to post a comment Login