If you have overdone it in the sun, and let’s face it, in Koh Samui in hot season it is not hard to do, then try one of our sunburn remedies.
1. Add a few heaped tablespoons of baking soda to your bath. However keep your soaking time down to fifteen or twenty minutes, if you soak for any longer you will end up with lizard skin. Once you have finished, resist the urge to towel off, instead air dry not wiping off the baking soda. If you can’t find baking soda then use oatmeal instead.
2. Aloe vera is your best friend if you have sun burn, because the plant causes blood vessels to constrict. This plant grows all over the island and you can find the bottled product at any one of the pharmacies on the island. If you are lucky enough to have the plant at home simply split open the leaf and apply the gel directly onto your sun burn five to six times a day.
3. Soak a wash cloth in cool water and apply it directly to the skin, never ever use ice as this will stick and cause more pain. Leave the cloth on for several minutes and do this several times a day.
4. Drink a lot of water because if you have sun burn you will also be dehydrated. Being well hydrated helps burnt skin to heal that much faster.
5. Take a quick cold shower that will ease the sting, especially on hard to reach areas such as your back. Avoid soap that can irritate and dry out your skin.
6. Use moisturizer. The sun dries out the skin’s surface and causes cells and blood vessels to leak, causing even greater moisture loss. In addition, while cool baths and compresses can make you feel better, they can also end up robbing moisture from your injured skin. To prevent drying, apply moisturizer immediately after your soak. For cooling relief of pain and dryness, chill the moisturizer in the refrigerator before using
7. Try a potato – The plain old potato makes for a wonderful pain reliever. It’s a time-tested technique known throughout the world. Take two washed potatoes, cut them into small chunks, and place them in a blender or food processor. Blend or process until the potatoes are in liquid form. Add water if they look dry. Pat the burned areas with the pulverized potatoes. Wait until the potatoes dry then take a cool shower. Another less messy method is to apply the mash to a clean gauze and place on the burn. Change the dressing every hour. Continue applying several times a day for a few days until the pain is relieved
8. Use cornstarch – Sunburns often strike where skin meets bathing suit. Sensitive and hard-to-reach spots you’ve neglected to smear with suntan lotion (along bikini lines, underneath buttock cheeks, or around the breasts and armpits) often fall victim. These burn spots then have to face daily irritation from tight elastic in bras and underwear. To ease chafing, cover the burned area with a dusting of cornstarch. Don’t apply petroleum jelly or oils, which can exacerbate the burn by blocking pores. If the burn is blistering, however, don’t apply anything
9. Use natural yoghurt, it might be messy but it really does work, especially if it is directly out of the fridge. The Lucky Cow next to Macro sells organic natural yoghurt at a very reasonable price.
10. If all else fails try a tropical anesthetic – Topical anesthetics such as Solarcaine may offer some temporary relief from pain and itching. Look for products that contain lidocaine, which is less likely than some of the other topical anesthetics to cause an allergic reaction. Because some people do have allergic reactions to such products, test a small area of skin before using it all over. Topical anesthetics come in both creams and sprays. The sprays are easier to apply to sunburn, especially when it is widespread. If you use one, avoid spraying it directly onto the face. Instead, spray some onto gauze and gently dab it onStay updated with Samui Times by following us on Facebook.
Police Squash Major Hat Yai Drug Smuggling Operation
Pattaya Offers 50 Percent Discount To Domestic Tourists
Domestic Airlines Done With Social Distancing
Partial Solar Eclipse Visible Today On Koh Samui
Baby Elephants Electrocuted To Death By Orchard Fence
Russian Busted On Koh Samui For Using Fake Credit Cards
Thailand Is Policing Illegal Border Crossings
Poll Indicates Thais Want New PPRP Party Leader
Thousands Of Thai Workers Approved To Return To Taiwan
Unemployed Teacher Caught With Child Porn
- Regional News4 months ago
Koh Samui. 7-Eleven and Family Mart close overnight.
- Koh Samui News4 months ago
Samui Covid-19 update
- Breaking News4 months ago
Koh Samui’s first Covid-19 case
- Breaking News5 months ago
One dead, two injured after bar shooting in Samui
- Events4 months ago
Koh Samui is going into full lockdown
- Thailand News4 months ago
Bangkok booze ban and postponed holidays
- Regional News4 months ago
National curfew starts today
- Thai Life4 months ago
Thailand’s government officials extend tourist visas