Connect with us


British authorities at Koh Tao crime scene

Samui Times Editor



British authorities at Koh Tao crime scene | Samui Times

British police made a surprise visit to Koh Tao on October 25 to inspect locations related to the murders of two backpackers, a source said.

They arrived on the island by helicopter from Bangkok, accompanied by Jarumporn Suramanee, an adviser to the national police chief, and Suwat Jaengyodsuk, acting deputy commander of the Metropolitan Police Bureau.

brits in Koh TaoPol Maj Gen Suwat is the chief investigator in the case, having been assigned earlier by national police chief Somyot Pumpanmuang to take over from local officers. Pol Gen Jarumporn is a forensic expert who went to the crime scene days after the murder occurred.

The trip was kept secret, with no police officers in Surat Thani province or Provincial Police Region 8 informed. Police based on Koh Tao and neighbouring Koh Phangan were not allowed to join the meeting or take pictures of the visitors.

Only one rescue volunteer on Koh Tao was brought in to provide information about the events of September 15, when Hannah Witheridge, 23, and David Miller, 24, were killed, according to the source.

The British team went to Sairee beach, where the two were murdered, and inspected the nearby location where the two suspects stayed and were seen playing guitar. They also went to the AC Bar where the two victims had been seen before their deaths, and stopped at a place near the clock tower where police claimed they had found Mr Miller’s mobile phone.

They took pictures and asked for information before holding closed-door talks in the meeting room of the Koh Tao municipality before returning to Bangkok.

Three Scotland Yard police were believed to be on the trip from Bangkok, joining two others who had come to the island on Friday (October 24), according to the source.

At least one British officer is a homicide detective and another one is an experienced crime scene expert, another source said. They arrived in Bangkok on Wednesday (October 22).

Koh Tao mayor Chaiyant Turasakul said he was not aware of the visit and was only ordered to arrange local officials to facilitate their visit.

The visit of the British officers is a response to widespread concern about the Thai police investigation into the killings.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-Ocha agreed to a request by British Premier David Cameron to allow British police to observe the work of Thai police when the two met at the Asia-Europe Meeting in Milan on October 17.

Win Zaw Htun and Zaw Lin, two workers from Rakhine state in Myanmar, have been in custody since October 2 on murder and rape charges. Police said the pair had confessed to the crimes.

However, the suspects this week recanted their confessions, claiming they were tortured and Thai investigators threatened their lives. Lawyers acting for them have asked the Office of the Attorney-General to re-investigate all the evidence instead of relying only on the information supplied by police.

Prosecutors also have asked the police for more information to support an indictment, saying the initial 300-page investigative report was not complete.

The National Human Rights Commission is investigating the torture claims and the Lawyers Council of Thailand has stepped in to offer the two men legal assistance and fight the case.

Phuket News

Stay updated with Samui Times by following us on Facebook.