A British cave diver who played an important role in rescue of 12 boys and their football coach who had been trapped inside the Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai has hit out at Elon Musk’s attempt to get involved in the rescue operation.
Vern Unsworth, who was reportedly the one who first called for fellow British divers Rick Stanton, John Volanthen and Robert Harper to become involved in the search for the missing group, has branded Elon Musk’s offer of help as nothing more than a publicity stunt.
While the rescue operation was in full swing, Musk tweeted to say his company had built a “kid sized submarine” that could be used to rescue the kids from the cave.
Just a day later, Musk posted a video on Instagram to reveal that he had been inside the cave with his submarine
“Just returned from Cave 3,” Musk said.
“Mini-sub is ready if needed. It is made of rocket parts & named Wild Boar after kids’ soccer team. Leaving here in case it may be useful in the future.”
However, in an interview with CNN, Mr Unsworth said that Musk’s submarine “had absolutely no chance of working”.
When asked his thoughts on Elon Musk’s submarine Mr Unsworth replied: “He can stick his submarine where it hurts”.
“He [Elon Musk] had absolutely no concept of what the cave passage was like.
Mr Unsworth explained that because the submarine was 5ft 6 long and rigid it would have been unable to go round the obstacle and tight passageways inside the cave.
It was “just a PR stunt”.
Mr Unsworth also said that despite Elon Musk arriving at the cave last Tuesday, he was “asked to leave very quickly”.
Also in the interview with CNN, Mr Unsworth, who is believed to be based in Chaing Rai, played down suggestions that he was a hero.
“They are all calling us heroes, but we were here and we did the job. So everyone’s happy.”
“I was actually scheduled to go into the cave on June 24 anyway,” Unsworth told CNN.
“I got all my gear ready, and I was going in to do a solo trip just to see what the water levels were like. And I got called out at 2 o’clock Sunday morning, and I was there for the whole 17 days.”
He also said that the kids nor the coach could be blamed for becoming trapped.
These kids were just totally unlucky. Wrong place, wrong time,” he said.
“It happened very quick. You can’t blame the coach, you can’t blame the kids.”Facebook.
Police Squash Major Hat Yai Drug Smuggling Operation
Pattaya Offers 50 Percent Discount To Domestic Tourists
Domestic Airlines Done With Social Distancing
Partial Solar Eclipse Visible Today On Koh Samui
Baby Elephants Electrocuted To Death By Orchard Fence
Russian Busted On Koh Samui For Using Fake Credit Cards
Thailand Is Policing Illegal Border Crossings
Poll Indicates Thais Want New PPRP Party Leader
Thousands Of Thai Workers Approved To Return To Taiwan
Unemployed Teacher Caught With Child Porn
- Regional News8 months ago
Koh Samui. 7-Eleven and Family Mart close overnight.
- Koh Samui News9 months ago
Samui Covid-19 update
- Breaking News8 months ago
Koh Samui’s first Covid-19 case
- Breaking News9 months ago
One dead, two injured after bar shooting in Samui
- Events8 months ago
Koh Samui is going into full lockdown
- Thailand News8 months ago
Bangkok booze ban and postponed holidays
- Regional News8 months ago
National curfew starts today
- Thai Life8 months ago
Thailand’s government officials extend tourist visas