Connect with us

National News

Parents convinced their son’s death in Koh Tao was murder

Samui Times Editor



Parents convinced their son’s death in Koh Tao was murder | Samui Times

The parents of British holiday maker Nick Pearson, 25 who died in suspicious circumstances In Koh Tao believe that his death was a murder that was covered up to protect tourism.

Nick was on holiday with his brother and parents on a family vacation to Koh Tao when he was found dead on New Year’s day, chillingly his body was found in the water close to where Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were found only a few weeks ago.

Nick Pearson 1The police suspected that Nick had fallen 50ft but his parents are disputing that version of events and believe he could have been followed back to his bungalow and told reporters that they were warned to keep quiet by people in Koh Tao.

Parents Tracey and Graham said “it seems like they just want to protect their tourist industry but we need to know what happened.” The family has also expressed their concerns that the police have got it wrong of over the deaths of the two backpackers last month. Mother Tracy said “we don’t believe the men they have arrested for killing Hannah and Miller have anything to do with it, it is just a plan to show the police have acted so they don’t put tourists off. As soon as I saw the news about Hannah and David I cried for them and their parents because I know how hard it is to get the truth out of that island.” she went on to say that seeing the news, the beach, the same police and the same beach brought it all back to them and they find that very hard to deal with. “For us it is horrendous” she said, “it is a living nightmare, we have to face the awful reality that we might never get the answers we need. I hope one day somebody will get to the bottom of what is happening on Koh Tao and what really happened to our wonderful son”.

The family were holidaying among a large group of friends when the incident occurred, they had all been out to enjoy dinner and drinks on New Year’s Eve and had a cocktail in Choppers Bar and Grill, the same bar visited by Hannah and David. After their meal they said they went to Siree Beach to watch the fireworks and around 1am Nick’s father walked him to his bungalow and watched him get into bed.

On New Year’s Day concerns were raised that Nick had not been seen, later friends came to see Tracy Nick’s mother to inform her that staff as his resort had said he had been found dead in the sea. “I fell to me knees” Tracy said, “I could not believe what I was hearing”. The family were taken to a temple to identify their son, and noticed that his head was gashed, and soon started to question the police’s version of events. Tracy said “Even in our shock and grief we knew it did not add up, he would never have gone swimming along and if he had fallen from his bungalow his body would have stopped on the rocks or been badly injured, it did not look as if he had been in the water for hours, there was still dried blood on his body” She told reporters that the police did not look in his room or seem to conduct any real investigation into his death. She also said that he had met a girl that he liked and wondered if that had in some way caused offence.

An autopsy back in the UK revealed that Nick had drowned but had no broken bones that seemed strange if he had fallen 50 meters, the postmortem said that it was possible he was attacked before drowning. The families demands for answers are being backed by the British police who are working with the Foreign Office to try to question the Thai authorities before an inquest in the UK in December.

Stay updated with Samui Times by following us on Facebook.