DDC Director-General Sopon Mekthon, says the Bureau of Epidemiology (BOE) reported the number of pink eye infected patients from January1- February 16, was 15,963 cases from 77 provinces, a ratio of 25.09 to 100,000 people. Most cases were found in people between 35-44 years old (11.96%), followed by those 45-54 years old (11.53%), and the 25-34 year old group (11.30%). Most cases are from undisclosed occupations (30%), followed by farmers (23.8%) and students (19.8%). The five provinces found to have the most infected patients include Pattalung, Pattani, Narathiwat, Prachinburi and Songkhla.
The report notes that outbreaks of the eye infection occur every 2-3 years.
Bad case of pink eye
Image/Video Screen Shot
Pink eye, or Conjunctivitis, is a common eye ailment caused by an infection or inflammation of the conjunctiva. The conjunctiva is the clear, thin membrane that covers the white portion of the eyes as well as the inner surface of the eyelids.
The three common causes of pink eye are viral, bacterial and allergic. The symptoms of each form are listed below:
Viral Conjunctivitis Symptoms
• Watery eyes accompanied with discharge are usual.
• Discomfort in the eye with itchiness maybe present.
• The infection usually affects one eye but can move to both.
Bacterial Conjunctivitis Symptoms
• Watery eyes followed with yellow or green discharge are natural occurrences.
• Irritation can be found along with an itchy feeling.
• The infection usually starts with one eye and can spread to the other.
Allergic Conjunctivitis Symptoms
• Heavy tearing, discomfort, and itchiness affecting both eyes are especially likely.
Bacterial and viral conjunctivitis are very contagious. Only bacterial conjunctivitis can be treated withantibiotics.Stay updated with Samui Times by following us on Facebook.
Police Squash Major Hat Yai Drug Smuggling Operation
Pattaya Offers 50 Percent Discount To Domestic Tourists
Domestic Airlines Done With Social Distancing
Partial Solar Eclipse Visible Today On Koh Samui
Baby Elephants Electrocuted To Death By Orchard Fence
Russian Busted On Koh Samui For Using Fake Credit Cards
Thailand Is Policing Illegal Border Crossings
Poll Indicates Thais Want New PPRP Party Leader
Thousands Of Thai Workers Approved To Return To Taiwan
Unemployed Teacher Caught With Child Porn
- Regional News11 months ago
Koh Samui. 7-Eleven and Family Mart close overnight.
- Koh Samui News11 months ago
Samui Covid-19 update
- Breaking News11 months ago
Koh Samui’s first Covid-19 case
- Breaking News12 months ago
One dead, two injured after bar shooting in Samui
- Events11 months ago
Koh Samui is going into full lockdown
- Thailand News11 months ago
Bangkok booze ban and postponed holidays
- Regional News11 months ago
National curfew starts today
- Thai Life11 months ago
Thailand’s government officials extend tourist visas