Connect with us

Immigration News

UK Notarial and documentary services guide for Thailand

Samui Times Editor



UK Notarial and documentary services guide for Thailand | Samui Times
  • follow us in feedly

Documents, certificates, letters and notes available at British consulates in Thailand


The British Embassy Bangkok and Consulate Chiang Mai issue a range of legal documents for British nationals. No appointment is currently necessary.

If there is no specific formal requirement for a notarial service or certificate to be provided by the British consulate, local notaries or lawyers can sometimes provide these services more conveniently, quickly and cheaply.

It is essential to check with the relevant authority (town hall/registry office/tax authorities/Immigration/ Ministry of Foreign Affairs, etc) either in the UK, Thailand or a third country, where the consular certificate or service will be accepted. Only the relevant authority can confirm which service you will require. This information cannot be verified by the British consulate.

Fees for consular certificates and documents are paid at the consulate on the day of the appointment and can be paid by credit card, debit card or in cash. Refunds will not be given for certificates or notarial services that are not accepted by the requesting authority.

If you cannot find what you are looking for in the list below please see the ‘Our services’ section at the British Embassy Bangkok or see the list of services provided elsewhere below.

The services we provide

Administering an oath or affirmation

We are able to administer oaths or affirmations as long as you bring your document already prepared. We are only able to accept documents which have been prepared using certain templates. Please contact the Consular Sections for an example. By email We are unable to draft documents for you.

Please do not sign the document beforehand as you will be requested to sign it in front of a consular officer. Please be aware that under the Perjury Act (1911) it is a criminal offence to knowingly make a false declaration. Offenders face the possibility of a fine and/or a jail sentence.

Affirmation of marital status

Information for British nationals intending to marry in Thailand

Making or verifying copies of documents

We are able to certify photocopies of the following documents but will still need to see the original:

We are unable to certify photocopies of:

  • foreign ID’s and passports
  • marriage, birth and death certificates: these should be applied for through the General Register Office
  • bank statements
  • foreign driving licences
  • foreign documents including education, Notarials etc

Witnessing a signature

We are able to witness your signature on a document in some circumstances. Please contact us in advance so we can verify if we can witness your signature or not, as we cannot for legal reasons witness your signature on (for example) a personal document, company document, wills or power of attorneys. Please do not sign the document before coming to see us, as you will be requested to sign in front of a consular officer.

Consular letter confirming pension/income for Thai immigration

Information about the procedure to be followed to obtain the letter

Legalising a signature or seal

We are able to legalise certain signatures from the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, FCO legalisation certificate (Apostille) and UK Notaries Public


For the current fee, please see our consular fees information

Proof of address and identity

Your passport/identification and a proof of address eg driver’s licence, utility bills, postal mail showing your name and local address, house registration, etc

Service we no longer provide

Life certificates for UK State Pensions

Please note that the embassy and consulate no longer witness Life Certificates for the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). The DWP has changed their policy on who can now sign these “Life Certificates”. This now reflects the list of people who can countersign a passport photograph. Please read the DWP’s guide “State Pension if you retire abroad” for more information.

Services provided by other authorities

  • legalisation of UK documents/certificates: Legalisation Office
  • copies of British birth, death & marriage certificates: GRO
  • information on marriage in the UK: GOV.UK
  • yachting and sailing certificates: RYA
  • certify your fingerprints: Metropolitan Police UK
  • pension certificates: DWP
  • taxation and UK National Insurance contributions certificates: HMRC
  • renew British driving licences or provide certificates regarding British driving licences: DVLA
  • UK Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks (previously Criminal Records Bureau checks/Good conduct certificates (except for Thailand): CRB
  • certificates confirming British nationality: Home Office
  • certificates proving you are not British: Home Office

Data protection

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCO and the British embassy and consulate will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.

Stay updated with Samui Times by following us on Facebook.