What to do if your pet is poisoned
If you suspect your pet has been poisoned. Here is how to be prepared.
Organophosphate and Carbamate Toxicity (insecticide)
- Vomiting ****
- Diarrhea ****
- Seizures *****
- Muscle tremors ********
- Hyper salivation *****
- Constricted pupils
- Increased heart rate
- Lack of coordination (i.e., trouble walking)
- Respiratory failure (e.g., trouble breathing)
What to do?
- If you dog is not having seizures: Induce vomiting by giving milk, coconut water or raw egg. Then give activated charcoal (easy to get from pharmacy) 1 capsule or tablet per 3-5 kg. (e.g., 4-5 cap. for Thai dog)
- If dog suffering from seizures : There is nothing the owner can do. You should take your dog to veterinarian as soon as possible.
(should be no longer than 30 min.) Vet will do gastric lavage and give further treatment depending on symptoms
- loss of appetite
- impaired movement
- paralysis of the animal’s hind limbs
- slight muscle tremors
- generalized seizures
- depression of the central nervous system
- extremely high doses may cause a sudden onset of muscle tremors, and even seizures.
- Internal bleeding : bloody vomiting maybe observed
What to do:
- If small amount ingestion: same as organophosphate and carbamate toxicity but activated charcoal should be given every four to eight hours for at least two to three days following poisoning
- If extremely high doses ingestion: RUSH to veterinarian as soon as possible.
- Severe swelling at bitten area with or without fang mark
- Bitten area will become red to black colour immediately
- Panting, trouble breathing
- Bleeding disorder
What To Do:
- Keep your dog as calm and still as possible! Do not allow your dog to move at all.
- Take off your dog’s collar! If your dog’s neck swells.
- While transporting, turn up the air conditioner as high as it will go!
- Rinse the area of the snake bite. This will wash off any venom that remains on your dog’s skin and or fur. Have a friend drive so you can do this while on your way to the emergency veterinary clinic.
- Place a cold pack on the area that was bitten. Ice will reduce the swelling and slow your pet’s circulation.
- If possible, keep the bite below the level of the heart.
- Antivenom should be given within 30 min. after bitten by veterinarian ONLY!!!!!
Stay updated with Samui Times by following us on Facebook.
Police Squash Major Hat Yai Drug Smuggling Operation
Pattaya Offers 50 Percent Discount To Domestic Tourists
Domestic Airlines Done With Social Distancing
Partial Solar Eclipse Visible Today On Koh Samui
Baby Elephants Electrocuted To Death By Orchard Fence
Russian Busted On Koh Samui For Using Fake Credit Cards
Thailand Is Policing Illegal Border Crossings
Poll Indicates Thais Want New PPRP Party Leader
Thousands Of Thai Workers Approved To Return To Taiwan
Unemployed Teacher Caught With Child Porn
- Regional News11 months ago
Koh Samui. 7-Eleven and Family Mart close overnight.
- Koh Samui News11 months ago
Samui Covid-19 update
- Breaking News11 months ago
Koh Samui’s first Covid-19 case
- Breaking News12 months ago
One dead, two injured after bar shooting in Samui
- Events11 months ago
Koh Samui is going into full lockdown
- Thailand News11 months ago
Bangkok booze ban and postponed holidays
- Regional News11 months ago
National curfew starts today
- Thai Life11 months ago
Thailand’s government officials extend tourist visas